Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Trip vs. Vacation


If you are familiar with Jackie’s brain theory, you will quickly understand why planning and implementing a vacation or trip can be a source of some tension.  Whereas we both worked on the plans for this trip, I am quickly being reminded that Royce is on a trip and I am trying to be on a vacation.  What is the difference, you ask?  Well, on a vacation, there is minimal schedule but freedom to make changes in plans that are made.
When we arrived at Acadia National Park and Royce breathed in the crisp, clear air he said, “I could live here.”  I was ecstatic!  At long last I thought we might actually have a vacation.  A few days later, as we talked about what the next day might entail, I learned that we were going to be at the Kingsbrea Gardens when they opened at 9 AM.  But I wanted to take a shower in the morning.  I was informed that the shower was available all night.  Not being one who likes to walk in the dark, I chose to take my shower in the morning.  Each time I woke in the night, I looked at my watched on the counter and hoped I would awaken at 7 AM to give me time for my shower.  To be fair, I should have asked Royce to wake me up at 7 if he was already up, but I didn’t.  When I felt him poking me in the back I asked him what was wrong.  “It is 7:30,” was his reply.  Grudgingly, I got up scurried off to the shower room and was ready and seated in the car at the appointed time.
 Later I asked him, “How did you know what time it was?”
“I wore my watch to bed like I have every night since we left home.”
Okay, now you tell me: Who is on a trip and who is on a vacation?
The remainder of the day turned out to be more like vacation, though.  On the ferry to Grand Manan Island, we met a couple who were going to be presenting a concert of folk music on the Island.  Where on the island?  Neither of us listened carefully enough to remember, but we finally found the hall and enjoyed a delightful evening of music and stories.
Our camping site is listed as ‘wilderness.’  From it we can see the Bay of Fundy and hope to either see or hear whales which frequent this area.
Our first full day on the island was truly a vacation as we visited three lighthouses and the beautiful coastline on which they are situated.  One actually reminded us of the Cliffs of Mohar that we enjoyed so much when we visited Ireland.
We have also found the locals to be quite pleasant.  When we went to a little café for lunch, there were no tables available.  We agreed to sit at a window ledge on bar stools when a man sitting at a table invited us to join him and his wife at their table.  After the lunch, the chef came out and chatted with us about his new venture.  Likewise the campground staff has been very accommodating and friendly.  So much hospitality in such a small place.
Being on vacation allows us time to play Scrabble.  Thus far in this tournament the score is:
Jackie 2
Royce 0
Don't feel too bad for Royce as the standings are likely to change any day now.  BTW, speaking of standings, Royce read in his Enewspaper that my beloved Detroit Tigers are now in first place--just where they should be.

2 comments:

  1. Aunt Jackie!

    I am really enjoying your blog...it makes me chuckle. And I hear your voice in my head when I read it :)

    Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip/vacation!

    Love,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph. We are waiting to get on a ferry to take us back to the mainland. While on the ferry I will download Uncle Royce's picture and see if I can figure out how to add SOME OF THEM to the blog.

      Delete